Reports To: President and CEO
The Sr. Director or Vice President, Opportunity and Inclusion is responsible for leading the Greater Akron Chamber’s (GAC) diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts. This individual will play a key role as a leader in the organization and throughout the region to advance DEI efforts within the business community, serve as a thought leader on racial equity, and bring leaders and businesses together to drive inclusive economic growth in Greater Akron. This individual will also oversee the Chamber’s internal DEI efforts, holding leadership and other staff accountable for procurement, hiring and other goals.
- Business Leader Engagement: Convene business leaders to ensure the Chamber is focused on the resources that businesses need to enhance their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. This includes oversight over several standing committees as well as 1:1 engagement and outreach with business and community leaders to maintain a pulse on DEI initiatives, resource needs and other efforts underway. This also includes engagement with CEOs and other leaders in dialogues about DEI efforts and other topics.
- Procurement Diversity Leadership: Develop a strategy and coordinate the outreach to connect corporate procurement leaders with diverse businesses in order to increase the diverse spend. This includes gaining commitments from large and mid-size companies and effectively matching them with diverse businesses that can meet their needs. In addition, this involves regional collaboration to advance efforts of the online portal that matches buyers and suppliers.
- Best Practice and Resource Creation: Lead the Chamber’s work to provide turnkey resources for businesses to advance their DEI efforts. This includes curating materials, initiating events, and developing other opportunities to help businesses access resources and information to strengthen their diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
- Thought Leadership: Raise awareness about racial equity and DEI efforts, topics, etc. by establishing yourself as a thought leader and representing the Chamber as a liaison with other partner organizations in the region, as well as on podcasts, panels, and other speaking engagements. This includes remaining current on pertinent DEI matters, thinking critically about solutions to common barriers, and being authentic about sharing these ideas with business leaders and the community at large. This also includes being able to form strong relationships with leaders of other organizations and leveraging those relationships to advance regional DEI work.
- Funding Development: Increase the organization’s ability to invest in DEI efforts by working with local and national foundations to apply for funding for the Chamber’s work. This includes proactively seeking grant funding opportunities, managing current grants, and submitting reports as needed.
- Impact Measurement: Identify the right metrics for the Chamber’s DEI efforts and track them on a monthly basis to measure the impact of this work on the region, businesses and the Chamber.
- Additional Duties as Assigned: Have the flexibility to assist in various capacities to advance the organization’s efforts in key strategic areas, including business retention and expansion, advocacy, research, workforce, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, liberal arts or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in a leadership position, with some experience in diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- Very strong relationship development, interpersonal skills and professional presence, including ability to demonstrate diplomacy, tact, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, take initiative and think innovatively, prioritizing key work and managing simultaneous objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be available to work occasional off-hours.
- Must be available during standard business hours.
- May be required to work more than 8 hours during a workday.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Occasionally moves office materials and/or supplies weighing up to 25 pounds throughout the office.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
*The level of the role will be either Sr. Director or Vice President, commensurate with experience.